Our Only Home

Forests are blazing, glaciers are melting, as the river dries up,
The sky comes crashing crumbling the mountains as the gaping ozone layer sneers at us.
I tremble when I read the dismal reports, repenting the evil we wrought on Earth.
Just then I receive a mail, which soothes me no end;
For it says you have found a way to fix it all and save us from the damnation that we have wrought.
Ecstatically I ask, “Pray tell me have you found the Elixir at last?”
But you simply smirk at my naivety and say, “Oh no, even better for in the faraway Mars we found water.”
Are we to draw water from Mars to salvage our precious Earth?
Oh no silly girl, you don’t have to worry about Earth for we will build a new home faraway in Mars, doesn't this news brings you mirth?
You say new home? That’s alright. But how do you plan to take there the magnanimous variety of mother Earth’s children, please deign to enlight.
Your silliness frustrates me no end. The new home is meant only for our enjoyment.
If that be so then don’t call it a home. Oh fool, humans are not entitled to live alone.
Earth is the only home that we have got. Having destroyed it, the responsibility lies wholly on us to fix it up.
No, don’t you dare to shirk your duty, the Earth is our only home accept its responsibility.
The Earth doesn’t belong only to us, but since we wreaked havoc on it, we should be the ones to fix it up.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Female Angst: The Social Cost of Rape

The Red Wine

The Motherhood Project: Introduction