My Take - The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde

 The Importance of Being Earnest is the first work of Oscar Wilde that I read and I am in absolute awe of his writing style. It is an almost two centuries old play yet I am amazed at its reliability as well as readability. Wilde has masterfully employed such chiselled sentences in the play that hardly any word seems redundant or archaic even in the 21st century. The play is peppered with such witty dialogues that I was rolling with laughter.

            The theme also remains as relevant as the witty repartees of the play. Wilde playfully mocks the superficial values of the aristocracy and the landed gentry without being too bitter in his satirising of their privileges. It’s an absolutely delightful play with endearingly silly characters.

            I have many favourite lines however I will enumerate a couple of them before wrapping up my review.

“Relations are simply a tedious pack of people, who haven’t got the remotest knowledge of how to live, nor the smallest instinct about when to die.”

“You don’t seem to realise, that in married life three is company and two is none.”

My rating - 5⭐


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Female Angst: The Social Cost of Rape

The Red Wine

The Motherhood Project: Introduction