An Abstract of a Paper that will Never be Written

 

Nostalgia for Things Past: Exploring the Significance of Memory in the Post-Apocalyptic World of Emily St. John Mandel’s Station Eleven

Abstract:

Memory is deployed ingeniously by Emily St. John Mandel in her novel Station Eleven (2014) to weave a narrative that oscillates between two worlds that is divided into ‘before’ and ‘after’ by the calamitous Georgia-flu pandemic. This paper will explore how the author categorizes the pandemic survivors’ memory into the binaries of nostalgia and imagination. Besides analyzing how the categorization of the survivors’ memory aids them in coping with the trauma of losing a way of life that can never be recreated or recaptured. Despite being divided into different categories, the act of nostalgia and imagination are in fact, quite similar. Nostalgia tricks the memory in creating images of the past that are only partially true. Hence, both nostalgia and imagination ‘invents’ a mellowed version of the past that enables the apocalypse survivors to cope with the utter desolation of the present. However, the essential message of the novel, which is reiterated time and again “Survival is insufficient,” implies that a nostalgic attachment with the past will trap the survivors in an inescapable state of limbo thereby reducing them to biological entities bereft of hopes, who merely exist. Whereas imagination, which also plays a significant role in ‘Dr. Eleven’, the comic book that forms the metafictional framework of Station Eleven; enables the survivors to escape their traumatic past, and thus facilitates them in rewriting the script of their post-apocalyptic lives. The act of imagining allows the survivors to incorporate their remembered past into the blueprint of their future post-apocalyptic lives, thereby imbuing them with a sense of hope and optimism that would have been missing from the nostalgic confinement of the past.

P.S. I wrote this paper with lots of hope because this novel is very close to my heart and I enjoyed working on it. But since I am going through a rejection/failure streak, in which all my hopes are being dashed, thus this paper also got rejected by the journal. I was going to delete the PDF file of this paper because I don't want to clutter my computer with debris of my failure, but then I thought of uploading the paper here on my blog because deep down I didn't want to let go of the thing for which I had worked so passionately, despite the innumerable failures and rejection that have now become a part of my life. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Female Angst: The Social Cost of Rape

The Red Wine

The Motherhood Project: Introduction