My Take- Circe by Madeline Miller

Circe by Madeline Miller is a hyped book, and I am sorry to say it doesn’t live up to its hype. Though, I will hasten to add that it is an impactful book with a strong central character. The novel evolves following the trajectory of its protagonist Circe, quite literally. The novel documents the life of the mythical figure Circe through her own perspective. Born to the Sun God Helios and Oceanid nymph Perse, she began her life as a dim, dull star amidst the constellation of brightest stars. She has inherited neither the grandeur of her father nor the beauty of her mother. Rather, she fares even worse than the ordinary nymphs. She is mocked for her dullness which she accepts as a justified treatment.
Though she is dull than most Gods, nymphs and her siblings but is she really worse than them? This is the question which the novel explores and does so very gracefully. Circe is different from all other Gods because she does not share their ruthlessness. She believes that not every God has to be the same. And she does what she believes; she stands out from the rest of Divinity because a divinity which is devoid of empathy is not worth cherishing. She chooses rather is pushed to a different path of life, which she walks with her head held high, albeit stumbling as well. From a grovelling, dull nymph to a strong, revered witch Circe makes a name for herself. She suffered a lot because she did not choose what was easy, but what she felt right and what her heart yearned for.
Though it is a spectacular story packed with many life lessons yet it fell short of enchanting my heart. Circe is a strong and self-made woman, yet she fails to touch me, she seems very distant and otherworldly, which she is quite literally. The writing style is smooth and abounds in pithy statements, impregnate with deep meanings and life lessons. The author successfully brings to the table some brilliant notions through the narrative. The book is an enjoyable read but its eagerness to dish out moral lessons renders it distant and lifeless. I am a huge fan of mythology genre especially Greek mythology and hence was expecting a lot from this super hyped novel. It’s not that the book utterly failed but somehow it didn’t touch me, it just didn’t work for me. It’s heavy reliance on morals, virtues and life lessons wrenched out the life from it. Of course a novel is supposed to give life lessons but in doing so it must avoid preaching, it shouldn’t become a sermon. A novel which doesn’t touch me, doesn’t speak to me, doesn’t work for me.
That being said, the novel presents a smooth trajectory of Circe’s life, without slackening or meandering. It’s a well written novel that tells a distant story of a Goddess who stood out from the rest. It’s worth a one-time read and I would rate it 3.5 stars. I would like to end my review with one of my favourite lines from the novel.
“You are not your blood.”
You can be anything you want, don’t bind yourself to traditions and conventions. Circe taught me well.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Female Angst: The Social Cost of Rape

The Red Wine

The Motherhood Project: Introduction